Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Independent but late finding!

In one of my papers
Il Park, António R. C. Paiva, José Príncipe, Thomas B. DeMarse. An Efficient Algorithm for Continuous-time Cross Correlogram of Spike Trains, Journal of Neuroscience Methods, Volume 168, Issue 2, 15 March 2008
I invented a fast computation of kernel density estimation using the Laplacian distribution kernel. After defeating me on the pool table, my bro and colleage Sohan Seth was reading my other blog and pointed out he saw a paper with the same trick! Indeed, 2 years before my publication, there was a conference paper:
Aiyou Chen, Fast Kernel Density Independent Component Analysis. ICA 2006: 24-31
And the conference was organized by my advisor! I swear that I didn't take that idea!!!!
It was an independent finding. It was not a complicated idea anyway, but still...

No comments: